Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas as a grownup.

Hello all and Merry Christmas for a few more hours. This year was different for me somehow. We've had children at Christmas for five years now, but somehow this year was the turning point. Maybe it's having three children, or hosting Thanksgiving AND Christmas. I realize now I am responsible for Christmas. Wow. Now I know what all the hubub about starting early and having plans for the month, getting your advent and tree ready to go after Thanksgiving is all about and being intentional about the messages you send the little ones about the season. I never really understood what everyone was going on about before. However, having failed to do many things that would have made my life easier this year...it is dawning on me.

We put together (well...Josh did) toys with many small plastic parts and were up late prepping the house and food. I realized we have no stockings...what kind of mother am I?? (The kind that gets them on sale after Christmas or the kind that makes them...I can't decide.) So the children got seasonal gift bag "stockings". However I wasn't a total flop and we did get matching Christmas pj's to start the season out by the first of December...when we put up the tree. (I was very proud of myself : )

So while I am somewhat shocked at my new Christmas role I am excited at the opportunities it presents. Excited to watch my children grow and to be a part of their memories and life that they will take with them wherever they go. What a true blessing children are.

No comments:

Post a Comment